This is a strange episode of InForm: Podcast where Neil does what he did way back in 2018 when he started the podcast -he just talks into a microphone about something in an informal way that is hopefully informative.
0:00 - 5:00
- Going old school InForm for today.
- Calling it Super Informal
5:00 - 8:00
- Some of the differences between psychoanalysis & psychotherapy
- One big difference is time
8:00 - 19:50
- Psychoanalysis takes time, you can't microwave it.
- There is a three-act structure
- Act I - Feel safe enough to start free-associating
- Why have you come?
- What brings you in today?
- Lots of highlighting
- Act II - Say something unexpected, but honest and important (allowing the unconscious to speak)
- In Act II there is this process of "making sense" of things
- Unexpected patterns emerge
- New connections are made
- Some interpreting & constructing
- Act III - When the person (analysand) comes into contact with something that "does not make sense"
- A reorientation
- A significant reorganziation
- Possibly putting the thing that you can't get past into the rearview mirror. (It's still there, but now it is behind you!)