TGL 005 How I lost My Voice & Learned to Listen Better
In this episode of The Gorman Limit, I talk about listening. A lot. About how I learned to listen better when I lost my voice, about what I learned about listening from my dissertation, and about full speech v. empty speech.
Intro: 0:00 - 5:38
- Why title the podcast "The Gorman Limit"
- In particular why the word "Limit"?
Losing my voice & learning to listen better - 5:38-24:28
- The phases of my time as a mental health professional
- I lost my voice and learned something really important
My dissertation -- "Shut up & listen" - 24:28-32:32
- I wanted to title it "Shut Up & Listen"
- We don't really think about HOW we listen
- What I learned about reflecting on how we listen
Empty speech V. Full speech - 32:32-50:00
- What is empty speech
- Don't answer empty speech with more empty speech
- Some examples of full speech