This episode of The Gorman Limit is being released very shortly after episode 011. The reason for this is that I thought about the topics I've been riffing on during episodes 010 and 011, and there was more I wanted to say about jouissance, the death drive, & negativity or lack.
0:00 - 3:02 | Introduction stuff.
- This is coming out soon after episode 011
- I've got more to say about jouissance, the death drive, & negativity or lack
- You should really listen to 010 & 011 before listening to this episode.
3:02 - 19:48 | Review & Set up
- A review of jouissance, the death drive.
- Setting up a more in-depth discussion of negativity/lack.
19:48 - 37:46 | The ways negativity/lack can empower the death drive
- I talk too much.
- Too much lack empowers the death drive.
- Too little lack also empowers the death drive.
- Some less extreme examples
37:46 - 59:05 | How do we use negativity or lack clinically?
- I'm in a new place, and I've got a baby with me.
- The lack we talk about with patients needs to be a lack they care about.
- The lack that the patient cares about tends to be revealed slowly.
- "Mind the gap"
- Not too much.
- Not too little.
- Wrap up.